Saturday, May 16, 2009

A tribute to Eva Cassidy


Today, I discovered that my fav artist, Eva Cassidy has passed away back in 1996 due to melanoma (which is a type of skin cancer). Eventhough Eva has been one of my fav artist of all time, I know barely anything about her except that she retains a large essence of the Americana culture which I admire and love. Suddenly today I read her bio on Last.fm and found out that she passed away from the disease. When I read that I just felt a sudden gush of sadness for her despite that she is just a stranger to me. I love her music, I love the culture that she lives by, I don't know her. Which is what made me feel strange because I barely know the lady, how can I feel sad for her death?

In the end, I concluded that: even if I don't know her as an individual but I know her soul. Her soul is her music. Her immortality is within her music. And as far as I'm concerned, even if she has been gone for 13 years now, she still lives with us today with her music. Great artist she is.


Alex (the outdated)

No comments:

Post a Comment